Monday, February 15, 2010

Want to Plant Peas!

I'm getting ready to leave for a two-week trip to the desert, and my timing couldn't be worse. By the time I get back, I may have missed the first round of planting. In the Puget Sound area, that usually means President's Day.

Wanting to get a jump on things, I did some research to find who was planting peas. No one. That's because the soil is just too wet. I went to the garden and did "the" test. I dug down about 6 inches, grabbed a handful of soil, rolled it into a tight ball, and then tossed it into the air and let it drop to my hand. The result: no change. If the soil was dry enough to plant, it would have crumbled on impact. Instead, I grumbled and walked away.

I'm going to check out the extended forecast. If it looks like more cats and dogs, I think I'll add some compost and cover the garden bed to help dry out the soil.

Hopefully, upon my return in March, it will be full speed ahead. I can taste the peas already!

No comments: