Monday, February 15, 2010

2009

Noe: I guess I kept my head down and my hands in the dirt, to a fault. No time or inclination to follow through on writing about my gardening experiences. Round two, two years later, I'm going to try again.

To recap quickly, I had two wonderful years in the garden. After the first year, my garden expanded to double its' size. I now have 10 beds about 12 feet long and 3 feet wide. That's enough room to grow plenty of fresh food for myself and to trade some for doggie day care!

I began the second year with much angst. I was feeling very disconnected from the process and feeling overwhelmed. But just as Mary Oliver says, "You just need to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves," I rekindled the passion and had a near embarrassment of riches pouring forth all Spring, Summer and Fall. (Winter gardening is still a bit of a mystery- but I did eat harvest brussel sprouts.)

Along the way, I've learned what a sugar snap pea looks like when it is perfect to eat. I've learned how to plant carrots and enjoy the thinning process. I found new ways to plant and harvest lettuce, and I know the difference between the annual and perennial varieties of arugula (both are yummy!). And so much more!

I figured out that I don't learn well from reading the "how to" garden books (though I do try). I find they are full of contradictory information, and that makes a neophyte like me crazy. I'm better off asking people I know and learning from my mistakes and successes.

I'm becoming a better cook and eating better, and find there is nothing more satisfying than sharing the bounty of the garden.

I still have a ton to learn and am excited for the 2010 gardening season. I'll do my best to document and share resources for other beginners like myself!

No comments: